Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A little Ketchup... Catsup... Catch Up

Before I jump into the heavy duty stuff let me tell you a little bit about my WoW history. I have been playing WoW since about patch 1.4. I played very briefly on an Alliance PvE server with a Dwarf Warrior. About the time I reached Theramore I was bored. It didn't seem challenging. And I had this friend at work who had a Horde character on a PvP server who would regale those who would listen with stories of raids on enemy towns, guilds that "owned Ashenvale", and the death of giant monsters in the depths of volcanoes. That, combined with the humongous Tauren that single handedly laid waste to the tower in Westfall convinced me it was time to give up my tiny warrior and go over to the Horde side.

My first Horde server was Gurubashi. I had an Undead Priest there that made it to about level 45 (She has since been deleted. I will never delete a character over level 20 again). My other long time character Morning the Tauren Warrior was rolled on Bloodscalp, the same server as my friend from work. I had fun then, but I was playing WoW like a single player game and did most of the multiplayer content as pickup groups, which was less than thrilling. I enjoyed my warrior, but the priest class grew on me, despite the PvP problems being a Healer can bring.

Things went kind of south with the first friend who got me onto his server, and I stopped playing Morning and rolled Zully on my current when it was new, since I didn't really want to pay a transfer fee for a sub-40 priest. I figured I had learned the class well enough I could run up a new one in no time at all. I got a couple other friends from work, Gantris and Tar, to join me. We formed our own little guild, Defective By Design, and had a lot of fun leveling, doing quests, and generally kicking alliance butt. I transferred Morning at some point and she was my main for a while, being my first max level character, owning my first epic (Sul'Thraze the Lasher) and having the full Dungeon Set 1 (and part of the epic upgrade set) before the new expansion came out. Eventually, we all left for different jobs, and we're all still friends but the WoW guild went bye bye. Gantris plays on another server now, and Tar is with me in my current guild.

I ended up taking a break from WoW for about half a year about a month after the Burning Crusade came out. I went through several guilds with varying levels of drama and finally ended up on my own, bored and frustrated . I'm not going to get into that now, since I'm sure it will be thoroughly covered in the future. A few weeks before I took my WoW break I joined the guild I'm in today.

My guild graciously didn't kick me for being idle for 6 months plus, and once I got over the "Where did you come from? Who invited you?" period on my return, I made some really great friends. Being a healer sure helped, and I was 'adopted' by one of the long time guild members to be geared up for heavy duty healing. I think their efforts (and, of course, mine) have paid off. I am very well geared for the entry level Karazhan raid, and am doing a decent job at getting my gear for Arena style healing as well. Now I just need to work on my skills, which I have recently learned are better than most, but not up to snuff for raids quite yet.

Despite what my other half would tell you, in terms of the WoW community I'm a casual player. I usually spend around 1-2 hours on days I'm working and pretty much all my unscheduled time on the weekend, which varies from 6 to 18 hours a day. There are many people that have much more time than that to dedicate to it, and it shows. I also tend to get distracted with trivial stuff like fishing and doing quests "just to get them out of my log", but the free-form nature of the game is what keeps it fun for me. So yes, having max fishing is probably a waste of time, but I like it, so tough. But in terms of being Uber, I will probably never fit the common WoW definition of being the best. But for me, setting personal goals and reaching them is enough for me.

That's me, my background, and my play style. Now we can get on with the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Label Cloud